Monday 10 December 2012

"WHAT IS LEFT WHEN THE PASSION HAS GONE"


I probably wouldn’t have watched that film if it hadn’t been the 2nd class students’ suggestion for the Teachers’ Day. And I need to say I would have been poorer of some warm-hearted feelings and discerning thoughts – so let me thank you, my 18-year-olds, for ‘Captain Corelli’s Mandolin’!

We could say it’s another tale of love and war, based on the award-winning book by Louis de Bernières, but as simple as it sounds, the story is truly unconventional. Situated on a small Greek island called Cephallonia, begins with depiction of everyday life of dr. Iannis, respected though unofficial doctor of medicine. He lives with his only daughter Pelagia, beloved and educated by him, preparing to be his work-successor. When Pelagia (authentic role of Penelope Cruz) falls in love with a local fisherman Mandras, her father warns it’s only lust but anyway accepts her choice. The young couple engages and that’s the moment when the Second World War breaks out. Mandras decides to go fighting despite his fiancée’s will and disappears for a long time, never answering Pelagia’s numerous letters. When he finally comes back he confesses his illiteracy and behaves wildly. The woman tries her best but she cannot respect him anymore.

In the meantime Cephallonia is being occupied by quite unordinary conscript soldiers – the Italian Acqui Division entirely consisting of opera singers and musicians. They’re not interested in warfare at all, instead fond of wine, good food and willing women. They wholly fullfil stereotype of Apennine Peninsula’s inhabitants and the biggest ‘Italiano vero’ of them all is their captain Antonio Corelli. Nicholas Cage is not my favourite actor but I cannot imagine anyone else playing this character. He is so brisk & vigorous and has so stunning accent! Yes, he's got Italian background, Aunt Wiki just showed me he’s Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew...

OK – you could comment – we already know where it leads to – Pelagia and Antonio fall for each other, war ends, they live happily ever after... Well, not that quick! There are other protagonists in this movie too! Firstly, the historical links between two great ancient civilisations, Grecian and Roman. Even when Italian soldiers are allies of Nazis they tend to get on better with their Greek enemies than Aryan friends. Music, dance and plain lifejoy unite them so much that in September 1943 it becomes rather easy for whole division to refuse to surrender and fight the Germans for nine days before running out of ammunition. I had no idea that almost 10 000 of Italian soldiers died there – either in the combat or after it, massacred and drowned in the sea by former fascist partners... Secondly, there are also amazing shots of nature, beautiful, spectacular as well as powerful...

The writer himself descibed his novel to be about "what happens to the little people when megalomaniacs get busy." To me these ‘little people’ grow bigger and bigger as they prove devotion, sacrifice, self-restraint... And no, I’m not going to reveal the story ending here! Curious? Find it out for yourself! I wish you a nice watch:).

4 comments:

  1. The film was very interesting! I like this kind of movies. Love story ended happily:) I really recommend the movie, Penelope Cruz is my favourite actress she is beautiful. Really good review
    rgds Kinga

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie was very interesting. I like historical films with love theme. At times I had felt that I moved to time the Second World War. I invite you to watch this film :)
    Excellent review.
    Justyna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Ms./ Miss/ Mrs./ Mistress/ Madam/ Dame/ Lady Wojtaszek!
    Waiting so long for a new post was worth it! To be honest, I never watched this movie, so I can't tell if it was good or bad. But, as i saw on filmweb, it's tagged as Drama/Music/Romance, which summarizes all movie genres that I hate. Mostly, because they are all the same. I forgot to add, that war films are not my favourite aswell. So, i can't pretty much comment on anything.

    I can only guess, that in the end, main characters obviously meet again, fall in love again and live happily ever after. Booooring!

    Best, favourite, most handsome and brilliant student ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this film many times, and always I found new interesting moments. I love this type of film - I think that ‘Captain Corelli’s Mandolin’ is very touching, and it has also historical background which makes it more valuable.
    Ps. Great review, I agree with You in many points.
    Regards,
    Kasia:)

    ReplyDelete